For this tutorial I took a 20x20 pillow and simply crocheted a classic Granny Square from various textures of handspun art yarn to hand stitch to the pillow cover. This pattern will work for any square shaped pillow (18x18, 20x20, 24x24, etc.) - simply crochet until your square is the right length & width. You can also use a pillow form and make a complete cover.
- Square Pillow (mine is 20x20), or Pillow Insert (if you are making two squares or using fabric for the back)
- Square Pillowcase (these are cheap at Ikea, Amazon, and Hobby Lobby) that matches your yarn
- Sewing needle & thread for hand-sewing your pillow cover onto the pillowcase
- Handspun Art Yarn - I used about 80 yards. You may use more or less depending on how bulky your yarn is and how big your pillow is.
- Crochet Hook appropriate for the bulkyness of your art yarn.
Following the video below, crochet a granny square until it's the size of the pillow you are covering.
You could also crochet two granny squares and cover the entire pillow (instead of just the front). But I just did the front.
Block with Unicorn Fibre Rinse. Gently pat dry, reshape and dry flat.
Seam the granny square to the pillowcase , or to fabric to make a true pillow cover, and enjoy!